When looking to join a dating, introduction or matchmaking agency it’s useful to have a list of questions to ask to avoid making mistakes.
- Check that they are a member of the ABIA. Only ABIA agencies are bound to comply with their stringent code of practice.
- Ask how many introductions you can reasonably expect to be given within your selected age range and area.
- Use your membership sensibly. You must communicate with your agency to maximise your chances of enjoying a successful membership.
- Persevere with your membership – success doesn’t always happen overnight. If you are unhappy about the way things are going, tell the agency as soon as possible to give them a chance to rectify the situation.
- Rush into a decision call several agencies and compare what they offer.
- Join an agency using a PO Box number.
- Join an agency which is not prepared to give you details of their fees on the phone or in their literature.
That First Meeting…
- Be sensible – meet up for a quick drink or cup of coffee rather than commit yourself to spending a whole evening.
- Be positive about yourself – a bright, cheerful attitude to life is much more appealing than a negative one.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Be polite if you decide you don’t want to meet up again. It’s much nicer to say ‘It’s been really nice to meet you but I feel that we’re not suited. Rather than say you be in contact when you have no intention of doing so.
- Be yourself – don’t pretend to be something you’re not!
- Talk endlessly about your failed relationships – it can be off-putting!
- Drink too much or constantly run yourself down.
- Take the children along on the first date.
- Feel pressurised into starting a physical relationship before you feel the time is right